We live outside of Charlotte, NC but I wouldn't consider Charlotte the "true" south. In fact, one author referred to Charlotte as the "gateway" to the south - I love that expression. And another author wrote, Charlotte is a "northern city" residing in the south. If you drive around, it feels very similar to the north - traffic on the highways, crowded malls and shops, and people always in a hurry. The most noticeable distinctions between Charlotte and a nothern city are the Palmetto trees and the greenery in December.
With that said, we drove further south to an area around Lake Murray, called Leesville, SC. I was starving, so we stopped at a supermarket so I could get sandwiches for Andy and myself. I walked in the store, and it smelled of cinnamon and spice - very holidayish, I was thinking. I walked over to the deli and there on display was fried everything - I couldn't even tell the difference between anything because it was all breaded and fried - all the same besides the shapes - they even fry pickles! Overlooking the fried mystery foods, I finally caught the attention of a very nice worker in the back (the pace was VERY laid back at this market). I asked if she could make a few sandwiches - turkey perhaps (hoping I could get that fresh, not fried). She wanted me to clarify my sandwich request, "You mean like on a roll?" "Yes...a sub/hoagie.", I reply. "Yeah, we don't have rolls for that." Hmmm..."Okay, well do you make fresh salads?" She points behind me to a case with salads. I thank her and walk over, pick up a salad container, carefully inspect, and find the lettuce was wilted on the bottom - yellowy wilted and not just one, but all. Fresh? Good thing she didn't make my sandwich!
No comments:
Post a Comment