Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oh Me! Oh My! I think I saw a mouse!

On Thursday morning upon arriving at school, my students began filing into my classroom getting their school bags put away and were starting in on their morning work. When all of a sudden I hear "RAT! Mrs. Roemer, we have a RAT! The moment I heard the word rat, I of course spun around and within one second, painted the most gruesome picture of a rat in my mind. I was expecting to find a fat-bellied, gray beast with a long, wiry tail, pointed snout, and beady eyes staring up at me while sniffing around my room for leftovers.

Instead, I found a small little creature that resembled more a mouse, huddled in the corner of my room. At first, it kept running into the dark bathroom (located in my classroom) but then it kept coming back out. It was acting as if it was trying to get our attention! In fact, one of my students said that he "was so cute!" I tagged one of my students to be the "mouse watcher" while the others continued with their work until a custodian came into the room. But that didn't last long as it ran across my room, under desks, and began climbing into one of my students book bags! The boy yanked his bag from the mouse, and to my surprise yet again, the mouse did not scurry. Instead, it sat right there, next to the cold, metal leg of the desk. And myself, trying to be calm under pressure, quickly grabbed a plastic cup, placed/shoved it over the top of the mouse and caught it! I assigned the same boy to keep his finger on the top of the cup as the tail wiggled about outside of it until backup finally arrived!

No comments: