Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas in New York






Ah...today has been a good day. I woke up this morning, had some coffee, laced up my running shoes and was off for a much needed run after a trip up north. The warm, muggy air felt great on my face - I am realizing that I must be a southern girl now. I run over a part of the trail that has become very bumpy from the trees' roots growing over the years, pushing the pavement up and apart. I begin to think about time... and then back to my very own roots in New York.


We drove the 12 hours up to New York first visiting Andy's home town and then my own. It was funny to hear Landon's reactions to things that he would see along the way that I now take for granted. He pointed out cows, horses, tractors, even open fields and was mesmerized by all of it. Of course the snow was first and foremost as Andy carried him sleepily out of the car and he quickly noticed asking "What's that?" Sledding was a treat for him even though he only lasted 10 minutes (due to the cold) after Andy and I pulled him a mile down the road to get to the hill. Building a snowman was something he only read about in books and I would ask him often before we took our trip, "Is snow warm or cold?" And suprisingly he would tell me warm - he never felt cold reading books about snow and watching Frosty so why would he ever make that correlation? Ask him now and he will confidently state that snow is cold.


Landon and Chase both loved seeing their grandparents. It is amazing that no matter how often (or not so often) you see your parents, your kids will always have that bond with them. Landon, by his actions, declared both grandmas his best friend. And Chase warmed up to them as well - it was too bad that he didn't warm up to the sleeping arrangements as quickly!


Overall, we had a great trip. The sleep deprivation took it's toll and we headed back to SC a bit early, but it was so great seeing everyone! Thanks grandmas and grandpas for everything! We miss you guys already!




No comments: